Collections in the greenhouses demonstrate the diversity of plants from subtropical, tropical, and desert regions. The three greenhouses represent about 1,640 species. More than 30 of these species are endangered and included in the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), Red List of Threatened Species, or are protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

The construction of the Botanical Garden greenhouses began in 1928. The first set of buildings included a palm house, a succulent house, and a separate section for orchids and tropical water plants (a tropical house). During the World War II, German army units were deployed at the Botanical Garden and only three gardeners could continue their work. Part of the collection was destroyed. Arboretum trees were used to heat the greenhouses to preserve collections of tropical and subtropical plants. In 1953, the post-war period, the Palm House was enlarged, but in 1972 it was built entirely anew, with a floor space of 550 m2 and 24 m in height.

 

Palm House

Tropical plants

 

Cacti and succulents